Ramblings about Diane Arbus

A lovely lady that has been on my mind lately is Diane Arbus. I've a fascination with female artist if you hadn't noticed. She is particularly one of my favorites because she's a photographer. BUT not just a photographer a photographer that uses a medium format Rollieflex twin lens reflex camera! I must admit that it wasn't until recently that I've discovered my love for her photography. 


Her subject content is fascinating. She had a knack for unearthing the mysterious and grotesque, but keeping it elegant and respectful. I've always been keen to surrealism and she is the first photographer that I've found with this kind of subject content. ( I know there are more out there, but for now she's my favorite) Needless to say I'm intrigued with this lovely lady and the wonderment that her work holds. The little bit that I do know about her life, she seems like a troubled soul. Which troubled lives are always the most interesting. I've a bit more to read about her to successfully form my opinion about her. But for now I'm bewitched by the ideas that her photos offer. 

"For me, the subject of the picture is always more important then the picture.  -Diane Arbus


No comments:

Post a Comment